Dinner: baked halibut, mashed potatoes, peas & corn, grapefruit.
The grapefruit was a last minute addition- all three of my kids have always loved grapefruit- for some strange reason. It's sour, but they love it. Maybe it's because they like scooping it out with a spoon. They gobble grapefruit down, and suck out all the juice. I find this pretty amazing, especially for Patrick, who is not a huge fan of fruit, and Evelyn- just a baby.
Terrek looked at his meal, and turned away, as if insulted. He was in a very hyper mood, and he kept bouncing off his chair, flipping upside down and being goofy in general. He was full, I guess, because he ate his lunch so late (as he tried to not eat it, then eventually became starving and ate it plus an oatmeal strawberry muffin and chocolate milk). Getting him to remain seated on his chair was like trying to keep a grasshopper in the palm of your hand.
Patrick needed to sit on my lap today. He was in an absolutely cranky mood. Just before dinner he had cried for twenty minutes because it wasn't his turn to turn off the T.V.. He ate three helpings of the halibut, all his peas and corn and no mashed potatoes.
Evelyn ate no fish, most of her mashed potatoes and her peas and corn.
It was almost time to take them up for bed, so I gave the last call for food. (They usually want bedtime snacks- but now they have to have eaten all their dinner first- as per rule #4).
All three came back to the table. Patrick mushed up and spread his mashed potatoes all over his plate, then slowly started to eat them! Terrek ate all of his mashed potatoes, no fish, and no peas and corn. Evelyn started taking all of the grapefruits out of the bowl in the centre of the table. When I wasn't looking, the boys began stabbing grapefruits with their forks. "No!" I shouted, don't waste the grapefruits!" "Ahh! Don't stab your brother with the fork!"
"Eat fruit, eat fruit!" said Evelyn.
"Mommy can I have grapefruit?" asked Patrick.
"I want grapefruit too," said Terrek. Who would deny their children grapefruit? By the time they were finally done, Evelyn and Patrick had both eaten two entire grapefruits each, and Terrek had eaten one half. They all had even squeezed out the grapefruits into their bowls and drank the juice. Evelyn sucked it right out of the peel. I had cut so many grapefruits, I felt like I was opening a grapefruit restaurant.
Plan status: Even though Terrek and Evelyn didn't eat their fish- I'd say given all the vitamin C that they ate, all three were pretty successful! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment